Hot Lunch Menu
The school's hot lunch menu changes regularly and favourites feature alongside new, innovative dishes.
Children are served a main meal with two vegetables and can also add items from the salad bar, fresh bread and fresh fruit to their trays.
Due to major supply issues, Accent have decided not to make significant changes to the menus for January 2022. This will be reviewed in February.
The school also regularly holds theme days which celebrate different cultures and offer students an opportunity to sample foods from other countries/cultures.
School meals at Sheen Mount are provided by Accent Catering
The catering service at Sheen Mount Primary School has been provided by Accent Catering Services since January 2013. Accent’s Head Chef works very closely with the team at Sheen Mount to promote the service. All comments that can help the kitchen team and Accent to improve the provision of its service to the school are greatly appreciated and pupils are regularly surveyed in the dining hall for their feedback.
Accent Catering works with a consultant dietician and is an active member of the Food Standard’s Agency “Health Catering” sector and is accredited with achieving 98.3% fresh food, produced on site at school.
Each day a main meal or a pre-arranged vegetarian dish is available, along with freshly cooked vegetables, homemade bread and an extensive salad bar, all freshly made on the premises. All desserts are made on the premises from fresh ingredients, not mixes. Yoghurt and fresh fruit feature widely on our menus, helping children to achieve that goal of “five a day” fruit & vegetables.
Accent's Latest Try-At-Home Recipes
Sustainable sourcing, fair-trade and food miles are all taken very seriously. All Accent's food is made from the freshest ingredients that, where possible, are locally sourced. The meat and poultry used is British and Accent uses only Free Range eggs. 75% of fruit and vegetables served are grown in Britain. Where used, packaging is in many cases made from recycled materials.
Accent Catering Commitment
Accent Catering is committed to provide a quality food offer that is seasonal, responsible, healthy and prepared fresh on site each day;
- A quality team that is well-trained, experienced, motivated and proud to serve the children of Sheen Mount;
- A quality service delivered through customer focus, working partnerships and attention to the little details.
Marketing Activities from Accent Catering
Paying for lunches
Lunches for Key Stage 2 children (children in years 3-6) need to be paid for at least half-termly, in advance. Payments are made via Arbor.
Select your child's lunches account and then "Top Up" to load the required amount for the (half-)term onto the account. Arbor then deducts the cost of lunch daily so you will see your balance gradually going down.
Changes to/from packed lunch can only be made at the beginning of every half term, in writing by emailing the school office.
The cost for the first half of the Spring term 2022 for pupils in years 3-6 is £69.44
Lunches for Reception and Key Stage 1 children (Y1 and Y2) are funded directly to the school by the government so no payment from parents is therefore required until year 3.
School trips & packed lunches
The school incurs an additional charge for packed lunches required for school trips, sporting activities, etc. There will therefore be an additional charge of £0.18 per applicable day for this and we will contact you at the time to request that you top-up additional funds to cover this, or you can increase your initial top up if you prefer.
Free school meals
Did you know you that you could be entitled to Free School Meals, even in Key Stage 2? Or that, if you are eligible, the school receives additional funding to help with your child's educational needs, even if your child is in Reception or Key Stage 1 (when the meals themselves are provided by the Universal Infant Free School Meals programme for all pupils)? Whatever your child's age, it is worth checking whether you are eligible and you can do so easily by clicking on this link: https://www.gov.uk/apply-free-school-meals .
Parents can register their children to receive milk at school every day via the Cool Milk website. Children who are registered will receive their milk without charge until they are 5 years old.
The school is proud of its exceptionally high uptake of hot meals, but you may opt to provide your child with a packed lunch. Should you choose to do so, we ask you to read the following guidelines and support with your food choices on a daily basis.
We will endeavour to ensure that children eating a packed lunch get to sit with their peers who may be eating a hot meal. All children will have access to drinking water.
Packed lunches should include:
- at least one portion of fruit and one portion of vegetables every day
- meat, fish, eggs, or a non-dairy protein (e.g. lentils, kidney beans, chickpeas, houmous, falafel) every day
- oily fish like salmon, at least once every three weeks
- a starchy food, such as bread (white or wholegrain rolls, pitta bread or wraps), pasta, rice, couscous, noodles, potatoes or
- another cereal every day
- a dairy food like milk, cheese, yoghurt, fromage frais or custard every day
- a drink of water, fruit juice or smoothie (maximum portion 150 mls), semi-skimmed, 1% fat or skimmed milk, yoghurt or another milk drink
Packed lunches can occasionally include:
- Meat products like sausage rolls, individual pies, corned meat and sausages.
- Cakes and biscuits, but encourage your child to eat these as part of a meal
Packed lunches should NOT include:
- salty snacks like crisps - instead include seaweed, vegetables and fruit with no added salt, sugar or fat.
- confectionery like chocolate, chocolate-coated biscuits, cereal bars, processed fruit bars and sweets.
- sugary soft drinks, like squash and fizzy drinks (even if labelled as ‘sugar-free’, ‘no-added sugar’ or ‘reduced sugar’, as these drinks can contribute to tooth decay and provide little nutritional value).